Hi, I’m Derek Magill. I write, speak and work in & about alternatives to college and credentialism.
This site is my online workshop and the place where I document everything.
You’ll find writing about my work, stuff on skipping college, essays on Bitcoin (BCH), original poems, career advice, autobiographical notes, marketing strategies, 30-day challenges, satire, philosophy, startups, self experiments, travel-logs, and more.
I publish something almost every day because I want to build an unbroken chain of work over the course of a lifetime and because I hope that in the process I’ll create the occasional “lasting work.”
Here’s a short official bio. For something more fun, and a lot longer, click here. Please feel free to use at will!
Derek Magill is an entrepreneur and writer focused on the education, career launch and Bitcoin Cash industries. After dropping out of college during his sophomore year as Classics major, Derek worked in the firearms industry and started a marketing company that worked with companies around the United States.
He is the Founder & CEO of Pathly and was formerly the Director of Marketing at Praxis. During his career, Derek has worked with companies such as Voice & Exit,The Objective Standard, the Foundation for Economic Education,Glockstore, Colliers International,Daily Caller, and Undertech. In 2018, Derek founded the Nakamoto Studies Institute.
He has been a guest lecturer at the Foundation for Economic Education and The Institute for Humane Studies and has spoken at dozens of conferences and universities internationally. Derek is the author of the upcoming essay collection “Create Your Career” and a top writer for Quora in the College Dropouts and Bitcoin Cash section with over 1.5 million views.
In 2014, Derek was the lead plaintiff in the Young Americans for Liberty v. University of Michigan free speech discrimination lawsuit. The lawsuit was settled out of court.
I was the Director of Marketing at Praxis for nearly four years. To that end, I handled web design, public speaking, copywriting, content marketing, sales, a good deal of product development, and a whole lot more. Praxis is a 12 month startup apprenticeship program for young people who want to learn in the real world and build a career now instead of attending college.
Nakamoto Studies Institute
I founded the NSI in 2018 to curate, organize, and annotate all the original writings of Satoshi Nakamoto as well as secondary sources that help to contextualize the writings within a broader tradition.
Learn more about NSI →
Interviews and Coverage:
- The Bitcoin.com Interview
- An Interview with Derek Magill
- Tune in, Tune Out, or Drop Out — The Michigan Daily
- The UM Dropout Whose Startup Wants to Get You Your Dream Job Without a College Degree
- Can College Hold You Back? | Interview on the Tom Woods Show
- Objectivist Discussion: College Alternatives w/Derek Magill
- How a Self Taught Marketer Can Generate Millions
- Za Radiosarajevo.ba / Derek Magill: Kako sam zaradio svoj prvi milion
- The Isaac Morehouse Podcast: Discussion w/Derek Magill
- Get Your Dream Job without a Degree: Interview on the College Dropout Podcast
- How to Get Any Job You Want: Derek Magill on the Luminous Mind Podcast
- Dropping Out for Fun and Profit: A Fireside Chat with Derek Magill and TK Coleman
- Skip college, build a career, and educate yourself – A conversation with Derek Magill
- Parenting, Education, and Modern Renaissance People: Derek Magill on the Luminous Mind Podcast
- Exit School: Startup Societies Blog
- Is College Worth the Cost? Interview on the “On the Homefront” radio show
- This Apprenticeship Bootcamp Trains Students for Soft Skills in Technical Companies — And You Get Paid to Do It
- Conservative group settles lawsuit against the University of Michigan over funding
- Student group settles reimbursement lawsuit with the university — Michigan Daily
- University meets demands of black students who threaten “physical action.”
- Derek Magill on Praxis as an Alternative University Experience — The Undercurrent
Over 2000 people have joined my email newsletter which you can join below:
What some people say
“Derek Magill’s unpredictable, wild, incisive, creative spark is priceless. He is the master experimenter with an insatiable appetite for methods and models of marketing and he never waits for permission to begin building them.
— Isaac Morehouse, Praxis
“Within 48 hours of reading Derek Magill’s eBook, I had written up my value proposition and gotten a job.
— Nick Rundlett, GuildQuality
“Раптом комусь цікаво: ні, я не маю наміру кидати університет, тут дійсно цікаво. Однак слова Дерека змусили замислитись над вибором ментора та роботою “на досвід” уже. Не гайте часу і ви)”
— Romaniya Strots’ka, ESFL Ukraine
“I don’t really like Derek but I respect his ability to push people’s buttons. Bigly.”
— Cameron Sorsby, Praxis
Why did you drop out of college?
It was no longer valuable to me personally, intellectually, socially, or professionally. And I would have been ashamed of myself if I got a degree.
Are you Greek?
For the past few years my Facebook profile has said that I’m from Greece. Somehow I never thought this would be taken “seriously,” but it has. No, I’m not Greek. At least I don’t think so. I considered myself Greek in the way Percy Bysshe Shelley meant it or Alexander the Great — spiritually, intellectually Greek.
Are you a libertarian?
Something like that. I’m an Objectivist, which has some overlap and that’s why you’ll see me regularly at libertarian events. I like to say that I’m a “radical for capitalism.”
I drink 5 cups per day, which means I get 10 tablespoons of Grass Fed Butter and 10 tablespoons of MCT oil, as well as 3 tablespoons of raw chocolate powder. If that sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, well, we’ll see. Until then, read this.