One of the most interesting facts about cults is that they seldom form deliberately and once you’re in one, it’s often very hard to tell.
As has been pointed out many times on my blog and elsewhere, Bitcoin Core looks a bit like a cult from the outside these days. “Consensus” is defined by purging dissent, serving the needs of the blockchain is considered more important than the needs of the individuals investing in that blockchain, and skepticism is met with character attacks and self righteous moralizing.
This “crash course” in freeing your mind of Core is for those people in the cult who might feel that something is wrong in Core but don’t quite know what. It’s not exhaustive and I’ve deliberately left out mostly technical material because I believe what’s going on is primarily social and psychological, not technical. I encourage you to work through them in order and decide for yourself what you believe.
In the words of Morpheus, “I’m trying to free your mind… But I can only show you the door. You’re the one that has to walk through it…”
Cult Meta Theory
In 2 weeks the final SegWit2X struggle shall occur on the battlefield of the free market. I’ll be on the front lines, showing my conviction.
— Jameson Lopp (@lopp) November 1, 2017
- Enter the Wardrobe into Narnia by Daniel Krawisz
- Beauty and the Beast by Daniel Krawisz
- Hoarding and Hyperbitcoinization by Daniel Krawisz
- Cult Member Conversations by Daniel Krawisz
- The Matrix, Scientology & Disconnection by Aaron Smtih-Levin
If you use the dollar, you have to trust the US government. If you use bitcoin, you trust nobody. If you use the bcash scam, you are trusting and supporting CSW, a despicable proffessional con artist and, RV, a despicable sociopath excon. You deserve all the pain coming your way.
— Saifedean Ammous (@saifedean) May 11, 2018
- Evaluating the bitcoin cash / bitcoin core arguments past all the passion by Rick Falkvinge
- Bitcoin Core talking points translated honestly by Derek Magill
- Rudeness and insults aren’t arguments against Bitcoin Cash by Roger Ver
- How to think independently by Daniel Krawisz
- Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay
Sociology of movements
- The Most Intolerant Minority by Nassim Taleb
- Bitcoin Cash and the Corcyra Revolt by Derek Magill
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
On the tyranny of “experts”
Blunt dishonesty, is blunt.
— NVK (@nvk) May 30, 2018
- The Intellectual Yet Idiot by Nassim Taleb
- Experts: Protectors of the Sacred Dogma by Isaac Morehouse
- The Grand Inquisitor by Dostoevsky
Censorship & Propaganda
Collecting some gems for @SEC_Enforcement @SEC_News to take a closer look at @CNBCFastMoney @CNBC pumping and dumping altcoins on their viewers. Enough is enough. If you have more tweets, post below and I’ll add them to the Moment. ⚖ https://t.co/i42MeDK91P
— Samson Mow (@Excellion) May 22, 2018
- The Staggering Lies and Scams of Bitcoin Core by Derek Magill
- A (brief and incomplete) history of censorship in /r/Bitcoin by John Blocke
- /r/Bitcoin Censorship, Revisited by John Blocke
- ‘Animal Farm” and Bitcoin Core by Derek Magill
- Re: Bitcoin Core and ‘Animal Farm’ by Derek Magill
- Theoretical Bitcoiner by Derek Magill
- Argumentum ad Rogerum by Derek Magill
- Proposed Preface to Animal Farm by George Orwell
History & Tech
2) The Core “compromise offer” was “you give us everything we want, and we will give you nothing you want”.
Basically kneel and kiss our ring.
— Chris Pacia (@ChrisPacia) April 28, 2018
- The Real Story Behind Bitcoin Cash with Ryan X. Charles and Steve Patterson
- Bitcoin is Being Hotwired for Settlement by Gavin Andersen and Jeff Garzick
- Ryan X. Charles YouTube Channel by Ryan X. Charles
Forks & Investment Strategy
And the entire point of any investment is to serve the investors, so if people in btc don’t have the attitude that btc exists to serve the investors then it’s no good. You guys need to shape up in order to be competitive.
— Daniel Krawisz (@DanielKrawisz) May 29, 2018
- The Definition of Bitcoin by Daniel Krawisz
- How to Face Forks by Daniel Krawisz
- Why Bitcoin Cash Matters by Derek Magill
- Strategy in the Core/Cash conflict by Daniel Krawisz
Learning to laugh… (Bonus)
- Richard Heart vs Daniel Krawisz (11:30-11:50)
Like this crash course? You can support my Bitcoin Cash writing here.